How do I apply for one of the homes you manage?
How do you handle maintenance requests?
Most issues are handled within 3 days. Repairs requiring faster service will be expedited.
How long will it take before I know if my application is approved?
- If an application is complete it should take 24 hours to process.
- All applications are processed daily during the work week.
- Applications tuned in over the weekend will be processed on the next business day.
- Updates and requests for more information are given throughout the process.
- You can call 202-756-4000 to get an update on your application.
How much is the security deposit?
Security deposits are based on the jurisdiction for where the property is your applying. In DC the Security Deposit is equal to one month’s rent.
How fast will I get my deposit back after I move out?
- We want to get security deposits returned as quickly as possible.
- DC law is very specific on when and how deposits need to be returned.
- The law states 45 days but if there is nothing being withheld from the deposit we try to send it out with in one week.
- To help ensure prompt delivery of the deposit
- Make sure you alert us to any potential damage as soon as possible. Often, we can make the repairs prior to you moving out so there would not be a delay.
- Leave the property in clean and orderly.
- Make sure we have your forwarding address.
What is your pet policy?
- Pet policy is up to the owner of the property but we encourage owners to allow pets.
- Pet requirements are posted on each listing.
- We use petscreening.com to screen the pets in the properties we manage.
- The cost is $40 per pet paid directly to petscreening.com.
Can I pay online?
- We provide every tenant with a tenant portal where you can pay your lease payments online with credit/debit card or an e-check from your checking or savings account.
- Other payment options
- Mail or drop off payment to our office.
- Cash Payments Using Pay-Near-Me, https://home.paynearme.com/en/ . Instructions to use Pay Near me. info.appfolio.com/rs/appFolio/images/MKT_kit_all_v2.pdf
How is the best way to communicate? When can I expect a response?
- We will communicate the way you want to communicate
- Email, call, text, tenant portal
- During business hours our phones are picked up by a live person. If you don’t get through we will attempt to call you back.
- We attempt to respond to every communication within one hour but no later than 24 hours.
- If you have not received a response you can call Customer service to have your issue escalated to Management.
- For emergencies please call 202-756-4010
Can I be charged for maintenance at the property?
- Yes, if you don’t report damage occurring that results in further property damage,
- If you, your guests or pets damage the property
- If you notice damage it is best to put us on notice as soon as possible.
Can I stop paying rent until a repair is made?
No, if you feel as we are not getting work done in a timely matter please ask customer service to escalate your issue to management. We will investigate and get back to you with a response ASAP. If you still feel like you are not getting resolution DCRA has a very specific way to hold rents in escrow and you will need to start the process with them. It is our intention to always resolve your issues as fast as possible.
What if I have a problem that I can't seem to get resolved?
Please call Customer service and ask to escalate your issue to management. We will try to respond right away but not more than 24 hours. We have a process to make sure all complaints are tracked, followed up on and a clear path to resolution.
Do I need to get renters insurance?
- Every Tenant is required to hold liability insurance as agreed in the lease.
- It is in your best interest to get renters insurance that will not only give you the liability coverage but usually will also cover your personal property and displacement coverage if needed.
- If you do not provide EJF with a current policy then EJF will buy a policy for you. Please note that the liability policy EJF purchases on your behalf is only to cover the owner’s property.
What if I need to get out of my lease?
We understand that DC is a transitional city and circumstances change all the time. While you will still be held liable for the lease we will do everything we can to help get the owners approval and secure a new tenant. Soon as a new tenant is secured we would be able to let you out of your lease. More detail is in your tenant handbook and will be provided to you at the time you give notice.