Whether you're a D.C. property owner with a single-family rental property or a property investor whose portfolio includes row homes and condos, there's no doubt that property management can make your job easier. However, choosing the right company to work with isn't always so simple.
When you require an expert to manage your condos and rowhomes, you need a partner that has experience working with and for community associations. Essentially, you need more than a property manager: you need a specialist D.C. association property management company.
However, not all association property managers can provide the same care, expertise, and dedication. These are the qualities that make a truly great association manager stand out above the crowd when it comes to your D.C. rental properties.
Professional All the Way
You're a professional, and renting out condos—whether it's one or a hundred—is a business. If you consider professionalism to be a quality that you value in your own business, you should work with a company that offers the same quality. A few things to look for include:
- A modern and up-to-date website
- Professional marketing materials
- A clean and organized office
- Delineated standard operating procedures.
If a company doesn't take care of these things for themselves, why would they do it well for your condo for rent in D.C.? When a D.C. association property management company presents itself as organized and professional, that's a good sign that they'll manage your properties in an organized and professional manner.
Easy-to-Use Online Resources
In a world where business is increasingly done online, you should be working with a company that understands how to harness the power of the internet. That includes a strong online marketing plan, but it also means making their online services simple and accessible for property owners and residents alike.
It's in the best interest of your own success that you choose a professional association management expert that:
- Offers residents access to an online platform for everything from payments to maintenance requests
- Offers an online owner's portal for statements, communication, and updates on your rental properties 24/7.
A straightforward platform for online payments makes it easier for your residents to pay and incentivizes them to pay rent on time. An owner's portal ensures that you're never in the dark about what's going on with your properties, from earnings statements to maintenance requests.
Strong References and Reviews
When an investor or resident is happy with the service they've received, chances are they won't hesitate to talk about it online. However, they are even more likely to mention something when the opposite is true! Reviews are a powerful tool for judging the character of a company, both positive and negative. An excellent company has nothing to hide within their Google reviews—and knows how to respond to negative feedback professionally.
- Check to see if your potential property management partner puts reviews and testimonials up on their website or has an online page for their business.
- You don't have to stop there, though: ask them to put you in touch with some of their other clients so you can talk to them and get a first-hand opinion.
- If you're working with a great company that provides outstanding service, they shouldn't hesitate to provide you with some form of references.
Communication and Customer Service
When shopping around for the right D.C. association property management company, pay special attention to their communication. It doesn't matter if you're talking with a representative over the phone, going to their office to meet in person, or having a conversation via Zoom. You need to work with a company that is open, honest, and forthcoming.
Focus on these key qualities:
- Do they ask questions and display genuine interest?
- Are they attentive to your needs, or do they push their own agenda on you?
- Do they answer your questions in a straightforward way?
- How interested do they seem in seeing your perspective and understanding your point of view?
- Are they committed to conflict resolution?
An association property manager (especially for condos) is the go-between for you, your residents, and everyone else that shares the building and common spaces. When you work with such a partner, they become your on-site representation.
The way they interact with you is a strong indication of how they will interact with your residents, so make sure they have a style of communication and customer service that you feel comfortable with.
Look Before You Leap
Finding the right D.C. association property management company is a serious time commitment. At EJF Real Estate Services, we're committed to bringing next-level customer service and a full range of professional management services to bear for you!
D.C. is our home, and we're dedicated to enriching our local community via innovative property management techniques. We're also proud to offer our happiness guarantees: if you're not completely satisfied with our services and decide to cancel within the first 90 days, we'll refund all management fees for that period.
However, not every association manager can offer these kinds of protections! How do you know the company you're working with is a good one? Gauge them with your free copy of our Guide to Finding the Best Property Management Professional in Washington D.C.!