Your DC rowhomes for rent can't be their best without a careful maintenance plan, including seasonal maintenance tasks. Waiting for something to break or neglecting critical preparations for your rentals before the next season can lead to costly repairs and unhappy residents.
Whether you invest in DC from out-of-state or you live locally, seasonal maintenance must be a priority. Do you know the ideal preparation tasks for every season? Follow this guide to tackle year-round season-specific upkeep tasks to deliver the best rental properties in the area—and maximize your income.
Before the summer heat arrives, conduct these maintenance essentials to get your DC rowhomes for rent ready. Schedule these services during the late days of spring or the early weeks of the summer season.
- Inspect for pest activity and set up routine pest control treatments.
- Check the landscaping, trees, and shrubs for dead leaves and limbs. Keep an eye on new growth and confirm watering needs for the summer months.
- Look for tears or holes in window screens. Repair damage or replace the screens.
- Check floors, walls, ceilings, and the attic for water damage from spring rain showers. Make prompt repairs to prevent mold growth and fix leaks.
- Test all appliances and smoke detectors. Replace the batteries in smoke alarms.
- Replace HVAC filters.
With this round of maintenance tasks, your DC rental properties (and renters) are ready for the summer heat and humidity!
Transitioning your properties from summer to the fall season requires another set of specific tasks. As the heat begins to fade, schedule these Fall maintenance must-dos to prepare your DC rowhomes for rent for cooler weather.
- Winterize outdoor irrigation, faucets, driveways, and walkways. Inspect concrete for cracks or holes and fill them before the cold sets in.
- Inspect roofs, siding, and gutters. Clear debris from the gutters and schedule roofing or siding repairs if needed.
- Schedule a furnace inspection and maintenance before renters need this system and replace the filter. Winterize the AC to help it weather cold temperatures and winter weather through the fall and winter months.
- Inspect chimneys and fireplaces. Make sure renters know how to use these systems before they need them.
- Check for pests and schedule routine extermination treatments.
DC winters can be harsh, with plenty of snow, ice, and cold temperatures. These tasks help prepare your rentals for these upcoming conditions to keep residents comfortable and safe.
Winters in DC are beautiful, but they can also be hard on your rental properties. Before ice and snow arrive, complete these winter home preparation tasks.
- Check seals around doors and windows. If you find gaps or cracks, fill them with caulking or weather-stripping.
- Inspect the home's insulation. The right amount and type of insulation help renters manage indoor temperatures and reduce energy costs. Add insulated wrapping around pipes to help minimize the potential for freezing.
- Review a snow and ice plan with your renters. Allowing ice to form in gutters or walkways can lead to serious property damage and become hazardous for residents.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace the batteries if necessary.
Helping your rental properties hibernate well through the winter protects them from the impacts of ice, snow, and freezing temperatures. Keeping renters safe and warm through the winter helps them enjoy living in your property!
When spring arrives, it's time to help your rentals emerge from winterization and get ready for warmer temps! Schedule these spring upkeep tasks to take place as winter ends, and early spring begins.
- Check concrete driveways, walkways, and patios for cracks or damage from ice and low temperatures. Repair cracks and holes when the threat of snow or ice is over for the season.
- Inspect the roof, gutters, siding, and foundation. Remove debris and clean the gutters.
- Run outdoor faucets and prepare sprinkler systems for springtime use. Look for leaks that need repair.
- Prune landscaping, trees, and shrubs to remove dead leaves and limbs that didn't survive the winter.
- Inspect for pests and schedule routine pest treatment.
- Shut down furnaces and heating systems for the season. Schedule AC maintenance and change air filters.
Helping your DC rowhomes for rent emerge from the winter is a critical part of avoiding significant maintenance issues and costly repairs. Take the time to handle these tasks to protect your investments.
A DC Property Manager Handles Every Seasonal Maintenance Task
We know that keeping up with seasonal maintenance for your DC rowhomes for rent can become a lot of work! If you have several rental properties in your portfolio, scheduling contractors and routine services are almost full-time jobs.
EJF Real Estate Services has the experience and resources investors need to safely transition rental properties through every season. We have a proactive approach to seasonal maintenance and a network of experienced contractors to handle routine tasks and repairs. Before the season changes again, let's chat about how we can help!
To learn more about essential year-round rental property maintenance, download our free Seasonal Maintenance Checklist.