EJF Real Estate Services firmly believes that choosing a home directly impacts the hopes, dreams, aspirations, and economic destiny of those involved. It is for this reason that EJF Real Estate Services is committed to the letter and spirit of the Federal Fair Housing Act, The District of Columbia Human Rights Act and all other federal and state laws enacted to guarantee a housing market free from discrimination.
ejf will not discriminate!!
The Federal Fair Housing Act of 1968
For Questions involving Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO), EJF strongly recommends you visit their website at http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/
The Federal Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing because of:
• Race or color
• National origin
• Familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18)
• Mental or Physical Handicap (Disability)
In the Sale and Rental of Housing: EJF will not take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:
• Refuse to rent or sell housing
• Refuse to negotiate for housing
• Make housing unavailable
• Deny a dwelling
• Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
• Provide different housing services or facilities
• Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
• For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting)
• Deny anyone access to a facility or service related to the sale or rental of housing.
• Threaten, coerce, intimidate or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others who exercise that right
• Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based applicant being a member of a protected class.
Disabled Persons’ Policy: If a rental applicant:
• Has a physical or mental disability (including hearing, mobility and visual impairments, chronic alcoholism, chronic mental illness, AIDS, AIDS Related Complex and mental retardation) that substantially limits one or more major life activities
• Has a record of such a disability or
• Are regarded as having such a disability
EJF Real Estate Services will not:
• Refuse to let them make reasonable modifications to their dwelling or common use areas, at their own expense, if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing. However, we may permit changes only if tenant agrees to restore the property to its original condition when they move.
• Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules, policies, practices or services if necessary for the disabled person to use the housing.
However, housing will not be made available to a person who is a direct threat to the health or safety of others or to anyone who knowingly uses illegal drugs.
EJF Real Estate Services follows HUDs recommended guidelines of allowing two persons per bedroom to lease a property. However, if there are any city or state occupancy requirements governing the property or if the property is located in a condominium, cooperative or homeowners association with more restrictive guidelines, EJF will defer to their policy and comply with their guidelines as long as they are not obviously discriminatory. Please visit HUD’s website for more information: http://www.hud.gov/
The District of Columbia Human Rights Act of 1977
You may visit The DC Office at Human Rights’ website.
The District of Columbia Human Rights Act of 1977 prohibits discrimination in housing because of:
• Marital Status
• Personal Appearance
• Sexual Orientation
• Family Responsibilities
• Political Affiliation
• Source of Income
• Place of Business or Residency
National Association of Realtors Code of Ethics
You may visit the National Association of Realtors’ Website at: http://www.realtor.com
Article 10 of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® Code of Ethics provides that "REALTORS® shall not deny equal professional services to any person for reasons of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin. REALTORS® shall not be a party to any plan or agreement to discriminate against a person or persons on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin."